Waterloo House Fire Blamed on Discarded Cigarette

Waterloo House Fire Blamed on Discarded Cigarette

Authorities have determined that a fire that damaged a Waterloo home yesterday(Tue) morning was accidental.

Fire officials said the likely cause of the blaze was a discarded cigarette that ignited a bag of trash on the back porch of the house in the 200 block of Gable St.

No one was home at the time of the fire, and no injuries were reported.

Battalion Chief Ben Petersen with Waterloo Fire Rescue says a neighbor spotted the flames, called 911 and tried to spray the fire with a garden home. The fire spread into the kitchen and dining room and up into the roof soffits before fighters knocked it down. The rest of the home sustained heat and smoke damage.

The house is owned by Titan Property Investments.