Two Waterloo families are without a home following an afternoon fire at a duplex yesterday(Wed) afternoon.
Some Waterworks employees were in area around 3:30 when they spotted smoke coming from the home in the 300 block of Allen St. The occupants, including four children, safely escaped.
Firefighters arrived to find a fire in the upstairs level and flames shooting through the building’s rear windows. The duplex suffered serious damage.
Four children and two adults lived in the upper level, two adults in the lower level, and the Red Cross was called to assist with emergency shelter.
The cause of the fire hasn’t been determined, but officials said it appeared to have started in an upstairs bedroom. The city fire marshal is investigating.